Senior School Curriculum
All of Kristin's Senior School students undertake Level 1 NCEA in Year 11 before being offered the choice to either continue with Levels 2 and 3, or to begin the two-year International Baccalaureate Diploma programme in Year 12. NCEA and IB are both challenging qualifications. The dual pathways provide the opportunity for students to take greater control of their learning, allowing them to choose an academic format to suit their learning styles and to customise their qualification towards their tertiary aspirations.
On average, approximately 58% of Year 12 and 13 students at Kristin elect to follow the International Baccalaureate programme, with the remaining 42% pursuing their Level 2 and 3 NCEA certificates. Our richly talented teaching staff support both qualification pathways and students from both programmes are regularly accepted into leading tertiary institutions here in New Zealand and overseas. This Dual Pathway is reflected in the Senior School's academic awards with an NCEA and IB Dux award being awarded to the top students in each qualification.
Senior schooling at Kristin is viewed as being one three-year course rather than three one-year courses. Although new options are available each year, most have prerequisites and build on prior knowledge. To ensure that Seniors are well-equipped to take the courses they wish, we invest heavily in course counselling along with regular review and advice. Central to this are the House Deans, the Deputy Principal responsible for NCEA, the Assistant Principal responsible for IB, and the Assistant Principal responsible for Tertiary Futures.