The Sports Plus management team at Kristin is committed to providing a superior experience for Kristin's elite sports students in the Middle and Senior Schools. Our aim is to foster the highest standards of all-round educational achievement for our students by providing a balanced life approach within the curriculum, catering for each student's individual development physically, intellectually, socially, emotionally and spiritually.
The Sports Plus (Middle School) and Individual Programme for High Achievers (IPHA - Senior School) have been established to help our elite athletes manage school work effectively, without compromising their sporting objectives. These programmes help and encourage our students to succeed on and off the sporting stage.
Goals of Sports Plus and IPHA:
- Identify talented students who have an opportunity to further their careers in sport
- Create an environment where students are challenged in their chosen subjects but are not overloaded with curriculum volume, allowing for recovery and study time outside of training hours
- Provide support networks that understand and cater for the demands that are placed on elite sportspeople
- Present pathways for elite sportspeople into the Senior School and beyond, through international programmes and Kristin workshops
- Create a working space that reflects the importance of the programme and welcomes external coaches
- Create strong community links
- Provide a balanced learning environment that fosters the student's overall needs and addresses their personal well-being
Criteria for Selection
All students in the Middle and Senior Schools are eligible to apply to be part of the Sports Plus programme. Students in Year 6 will also be identified and encouraged to apply as the enter Year 7.
|Year 7||Sports Plus students will be selected from applications. The programme is only available to high achievers and very elite athletes.|
|Year 8||Sports Plus students will be selected from applications. Year 8 Sports Plus caters for busy students who play sport at a minimum of ‘A' representative level.|
|Year 9||Sports Plus students will be selected from applications. Year 9 Sports Plus caters for students who play sport at an elite representative level.|
|Year 10||Sports Plus students will be selected from applications. Year 10 Sports Plus caters for students who play sport at an elite representative level. The programme is tailored to meet the individual needs of each student.|
|Year 11-13||Individual Programme for High Achievers (IPHA) Students will be selected from applications and caters for very elite athletes. The programme is tailored to meet the individual needs of each student. This is achieved in close consultation with the relevant Dean so that the student's choices do not adversely effect later subject choices.|
Criteria for Acceptance
- Competing at the top level in their chosen sport
- Provincial or National ranking
- Students come highly recommended by managers and coaches
(It is important to note that the potential level of attainment in various sporting organisations may differ.)
Attitude and Behaviour:
- A record of outstanding sporting commitment
- A positive training ethic and commitment towards performance
- Active membership of a Kristin sporting team
- An excellence attitude towards school
- Demonstrate high levels of respect and a determination to succeed
- Achievement of A and B grades for effort in student's report
The above criteria need to be maintained throughout the year will be reviewed at the end of each term. At the end of each year the student is evaluated on the above criteria and recommendations and made for the following year.